Theatre Talk May 3rd – Our first blog
TLS Theatre Talk May 3rd:
What we’re reading and watching this week:
- There’s some new long-form in improvisation town, but it’s not a show, it’s long-form improvisation journalism, The Hambook. The first issue features some fantastic articles on the current improvisation zeitgeist, especially Julia’s Weiss’s article on sexism in improvisation and the controversy with Charna Halpern on sexism that set Chicago on fire (again!).
- Here’s a great article on how your brain works better when you are improvising published in the Guardian. This article from Big Think uses some of the same research to prove why it’s super important not to try to be funny, all hailing back to the fabulous TED talk by Charles Limb and his study of jazz and creativity. A story about the was social workers are using improvisation techniques for therapists in their profession caught our interest. We think improvisation has therapeutic qualities, but it’s good to see science agrees.
- In a brand new article on the BBC, we learn once again why the business world is embracing comedy. (Hint: money). If you missed it, Artistic Director of TLS Abigail Paul was also featured in a BBC article this month, about the secret to a quick-witted comeback. (Hint: listening.).
- Want to see some top-notch improvisation? Check out one of our favourite duo improvisation groups, Dummy performing at the Phoenix Improv Festival. It’s even available for download.
For TLS improvisers:
- NEW CLASSES STARTING. There are still spaces left in the upcoming Beginner’s improvisation class as well as a variety of Advanced Classes, including our new Improv Gym.
- Join us for one of our new Improv Jams this month. In this new format, we split our improvisers into teams for a friendly competitive short-form match.
For TLS actors:
- Doubt will take place on May 13th and 14th. Tickets are free for our entire Spring Readings series. (Donations will be accepted). Please book in advance to guarantee a seat.
- We are still looking for interested acting students for our Monologue and Cold Reading Technique intensive acting workshop Sunday, May 29.
- Play-in-a-Day 2016 registration opens on May 15th! Don’t miss out on your chance to be part of this unique theatrical experience.
For TLS fans:
- TLS will be taking part on the SPD Friedberger Platz festival on Saturday, 28th of May at 13:00. We are still looking for volunteers, but feel free to just stop by if you’re in the neighborhood. You might even get a chance to meet the mayor of Frankfurt Peter Feldman!
- 2-4-1 Tickets for Date Night : A ‘Time Out’ for Moms and Dads. May has a lot of holidays, not the least of which is Mother’s Day. Moms need a night out from time to time, and so do Dads. This month we help you cut the cost of a fun night out and save some money for the babysitter for a great date night out in Frankfurt. Two people only pay for ONE admission to the show.