Theatre Talk June 14th – Getting Suggestions in Improv
TLS Theatre Talk Tuesday – June 14th
What we’re reading and watching this week: Getting Suggestions in Improv
- Is it hard to come up with inspiring suggestions for your rehearsals? Not to fear! We present to you one of the simplest suggestion generator websites out there, along with a simple generator app for either your iphone or android (though it is cheap, it is not free). Personally, we also use the suggestatron9000 quite a bit.
- When a website or app just won’t do, here are some quick tips on soliciting audience participation. And then! What to do when you get a suggestion and how best to use it.
- As Orson Wells once said ‘the enemy of Art is the absence of limitations‘ – or to be put in other terms – you don’t need a lot to create something great, so here’s some advice on keeping it simple.
- Speaking of art: why Children need art and storytelling in their lives (so tell all your kiddie friends to come to our Storytime with Rita Storee)
- Abigail was interviewed for the local Blog Velvet City by the lovely Garence Dufour, on the origins of Theatre Language Studio, and what it is like to manage a theatre, as part of their ‘Working People in Frankfurt’ series. She was also quoted in New York Magazine on an article on listening, and witty comebacks. A version of this article also appears on Lifehacker. Let Abigail hack your life and make you better at comebacks.
For TLS improvisers:
- This month’s special jam will feature longform improv duos! Players with more experience will be paired up with players have haven’t been improvising as long for a special duoprov jam. This jam is open to guests!
- The Lisa Rowland workshop on Energized Starts and Embodied Environments is on Saturday July 9th. There are still a few spots left, make sure one of them is yours.
For TLS actors:
- Have you signed up yet for Play-in-a-Day? Don’t worry, you still have some time; registration closes on July 24th.
For TLS fans:
- Come and enjoy a reading of Neil LaBute’s The Shape of Things, on Friday June 24th and Saturday the 25th.
- For our mini-fans, the next Storytime with Rita Storee is on July 10th.
- Abigail will be teaching off-site in cooperation with Speakeasy Sprachschule on Tuesday June 28th, an introduction to improvisation for Frankfurters who are currently attending language classes. This course will emphasize all the fundamentals of improvisation that can help people in everyday life, with special attention on business life.